Artist Statement: L. Anne Thompson
The world is a ridiculous place. Art can be a reflection of the world or go somewhere else. Tenuki is a term from the game of go that means: take the initiative and play somewhere else. My art strives to go to that other place. An imaginary world that is slightly better than where we are right now.
I’ve been creating for as long as I can remember from abstract drawings on walls with washable crayons to the mixed media art and hyper real photography I strive for today. Over the years, I’ve explored photography, theatrical design, fiber arts, beadwork, paper crafting, art dolls.
My inspirations include: my father, who started his fine art career in mid-life; Ukiyo-E, the Impressionists, street art, nature, mythology, and women. My influences include: my artistic friends, graphic novels, film noir, samurai movies, Japanese street fashion, Kuan Yin, Buddhism, the literary worlds of Margaret Atwood, old school punk, World Music, jazz, J-metal, spacey electronic music, and Tuvan throat singers.
I love to explore new techniques and styles and find ways to give it my own twist. What I love most about the 21st Century is the ability to take art classes from excellent working artists around the world.
Tamare Laporte/Willowing Arts: Ultimate World of Whimsy, Magical Mythical Makings, Awesome Art Journal, Life Book 2014, Life Book 2015, Digital Dreams, Little Whimsy Friends, Ever After, Rainbow Mermaid, Bookworm Girl, Art Doll Angel, Summer Girls, Summer Gypsy, Song of Me, A Christmas Whimsy, Life Book 2018
Jane Davenport: Draw Happy, Frolicaholic, Supplies Me, Express Yourself, Mermaid Circus, Print & Scan, I Heart Drawing
Jenniebellie: Wisdom Journal, Rock Your Online Shop, Birthday Tradition Journal
Mika Diaz: Face 2 Face, Mixed Media Doodline, Painted Ladies
Mindy Lacefield: Paint Your Story, Primitive Portraits 1
Kelly Rae Roberts: Hello Mantra, Hello Soul
Effy Wild: Radiant Faces
Alena Hennesy: Make Art That Sells
Tangie Baxter: As if By Magic
Adele Po: Dollmaking
Marla Niederer: Mystique
Diane Keeler: Hats, Shoes
Vivienne McMaster: Be Your Own Beloved
Fusion Beads: silver fusing
- Open Circle Theater. Costumer Designer for Atlas Theater’s production of “Anna Karenina.” Lighting Designer for Re-staging of “Are We Scared?” Stage hand, light board operator for
- Annex Theater. Light board operator for “Dracula”
- Central Washington University. Stage Manager, Scene Shop Assistant, Costume Shop Assistant, and Light Board Operator in most of CWU department productions
- Stylist and photographer for the Seattle Go Center Annual Pair Go Tournament
- Photographer at Fred Hutch CRD Retirement parties
- Photographer for Marva Holmes’ costume design portfolio
Design – highlights from my 30+ year career as an administrative professional
- Layout and publish “The Lookout,” Fred Hutch EH&S newsletter, 2 years
- LTFU Annual Holiday party flyer, 9 years
- CSSD Week poster
- Created a number of presentations and flyers while studying for the IAAP Certified Administrative Professional exam
- Several examples are posted here
Pair Go Promotional posters, created by me and featuring my Asian ball-jointed dolls arranged in go-related vignettes. Permanent display in the Seattle Go Center lobby.
“Zeus’ Women” Mixed media paintings. Artfx Gallery and Shop, Seattle, WA .
“Krampus” Photography and mixed media paintings. Bedlam Coffee House, Seattle.
Featured artist in “Creative Women WorldWide” by A. V. Yakupova. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN-10: 1533172714
“Jumpstart Journal” 1 day class at Seattle ReCreative.
CWU Theater annual scholarship, Prop Mistress for one season.